Cemeteries within the Town of Erin
Cemetery at Ballinafad, Lot 1E, Conc. 7 – 9386 Erin Halton Townline
Providence Chapel grounds, Lot 1E, Conc. 9 – 9598 Wellington Rd. 42
Graham Cemetery, Lot 20W, Tenth Line – 5697 Tenth Line – first used in 1834, last burial in 1962, restored in the 1950’s.
Lang Cemetery, Lot 22W, Ninth Line – 5763 Wellington Rd. 23 (Ninth Line)
McArthur Cemetery, Lot 19W, Conc. 10, – 5621 Wellington Rd. 23 (Ninth Line)
Erin Pioneer – formerly known as McMillan Cemetery – 5590 Wellington Rd. 23 (Ninth Line) Lot 18, Conc. 9
United Church Cemetery, Lot 32E, Conc. 11, Townline – 6142 Winston Churchill
Pleasant View Cemetery, Lot 30W, Conc. 10, - 6089 Ninth Line – begun in 1888.
Hillsburgh Cemetery, Lot 24, Conc. 7, 64 Trafalgar Rd., Hillsburgh
Burial place of many of our early settlers, dating back to 1831 including Mr. William How, who died February 21, 1854 at the age of eighty years. Originally called “God’s Acre”, this cemetery has not been used since 1900.
This cemetery was neglected until 1954, then restored with all of the original headstones uncovered from the grass and embedded together at the front of the cemetery in a single, solid block of concrete. The cemetery was once again restored in 2004.
There was another small cemetery on the lot where the Old Methodist Church stood on Church St. The church building has long since been converted to a double house.
Huxley Cemetery – 5982 Trafalglar Rd. – Lot 28, Conc. 7, north of the Village of Hillsburgh. First burial in 1884 with additions to the cemetery in 1941 and 1958, and still in use today. For information please contact Ivan Gray at (519) 855- 4717
Mimosa Union Cemetery, Lot 28, Conc. 2W, 8826 Sideroad 27 at the Second Line. When Mimosa Methodist Church was built in 1860, a cemetery was started in the churchyard.
Mimosa Disciple Cemetery – 5982 Second Line at Sideroad 27
Coningsby Cemetery – Erin Fifth Line Union Cemetery – 5544 Fifth Line between Wellington Rd. 124 and Sideroad 17.
Lot 15, Conc. 5 from approximately 1830. Coningsby Mortuary and Funeral Chapel is across the road, originally built as the Union Church in 1873 and closed in 1938. It became the Mortuary and Chapel in 1959.
For information please contact: Marvin McDougall (Butcher’s) 519-855-4207 or Home: 519-855-4580 Or Jim and Sharon Marshall at 519-855-4539
Erin Union Cemetery – 5350 Ninth Line, south of the Village of Erin
For information please contact Dan Fick at (519) 928-9978.
Erin Twp. Cemetery – Con. 4 E. Part Lot 15 (Hurren) north of Wellington Rd. 124
Trustees of Ebenezer Congregational Church of North Erin – Lot 32 Con. 11 (gone)
Built before 1877.
Providence Cemetery - Con. 9, Lot 1 at the Erin/Halton Hills Townline
Butcher Family Funeral Home
399 Main St. South, Erin, ON, N0B-1T0
Telephone: (519) 833-2231
Fax: (519) 833-0777
How to get there:
Hwy. 401 west to Hwy. 410 north. Take Hwy. 410 north to Mayfield Side Road (turning left). Turn right onto Hwy. 10 and go north to the Village of Caledon. Turn left onto Wellington Rd. 124, and follow this to Erin. (This road becomes the Main St. of Erin). Going south past the fourth light we are on the left.
Hwy. 401 east to first exit for Guelph. Follow Hwy. 6 north to Guelph, turn right onto Speedvale Ave. Turn left onto Eramosa Rd. (Wellington County Rd. 124). Follow Wellington Rd. 124 for about 25 km. to Erin. At the "tee" intersection (Main St.) turn right, and we are the first building on the left.
Proprietor: Blair Butcher
External Links - to assist with family searches....
Wellington County Museum and Archives
Wellington Branch - Ontario Genealogical Society
IGI Records Mormon Church